Hello From The Other Side…

So I have been a little quiet on the blog lately…if you have been reading this blog and/or watching my Youtube channel, you know I have been having problems with my heel/foot for a while and have had to rest it and wear one of those giant boots.  I found out I needed to keep wearing the boot all through April and the 1st week of May which was very disappointing, but it does still hurt, so I understand.  I want it to be fully healed before I start hiking/cycling so I don’t re-injure it and have to start all over.

I had to skip all the races I signed up for this spring, but I still went to pick up my packet for the Phillies 5K (we got free shirts and 4 free tickets to a game and I was NOT missing that!).  I went with my friend Amy to the Hershey 10K and we met my sister there.  I was supposed to run with them, but couldn’t so just hung out to cheer them on.  I have to say as I watched them walk towards the start line together leaving me in the parking lot to hold car keys – I got a little teary eyed.  I love the course for the Hershey 10K and it was just upsetting to feel left out this year.  I was even hoping I would get the OK to start cycling so I could contact the race organizers and volunteer to be one of the cycling pacers – that way I could at least do SOMETHING!!  Unfortunately the day before the run my doc said the boot has to stay on 2 weeks full time and then SLOWLY wean myself off it.

After they went to join the crowd and I couldn’t see them anymore I hobbled over to the road where I could try to get a glimpse of them running by near the start.  What a weird feeling being with all the people cheering instead of running.  As the runners started going by, I thought ‘How the HECK am I gonna find them in this crowd of people?!?!’  I could look for the bright greenish/yellow shirt that Amy was wearing but like 50% of the runners had the same color shirt on.  I started to panic a bit – I was gonna miss them and not get a pic of them running by!  Then I saw someone jumping up and down waving frantically and heard people yelling my name – it was them!  I snapped as many pics as I could with my phone and hoped some got ok.  Then I had a laugh because it was almost like they were cheering for ME – LOL.  Wasn’t I supposed to be yelling THEIR names and jumping up and down?!?!  I did manage to yell out a quick “GO GO GO!!!” and then they were swallowed up by the mass of people again.


I figured the next best place to try to spot them was at one of the water stations – I hobbled over and took a spot by the trashcans, thinking there is NO WAY I would miss them there, but somehow we did miss each other.  I stood there from the first few runners all the way through to the last few – watching the cups start to pile up and thinking that would have been a really cool time lapse. I was also trying to avoid the splatter as runners spit out full mouthfuls of water precariously close to my shoes (I did get splashed – gross – hard to jump out of the way when you are confined to a giant supportive boot.)  I have NO IDEA how I didn’t see them, but as the last few people started going through I began to get worried – did something happen???  I sent a text to my sister and asked where they were on the course and they had passed me a while ago – BUMMER.

I decided I probably had about 20 minutes until they crossed the finish line – I didn’t want to miss them again so I headed over.  I was very surprised at the small crowd this year and hardly anyone was cheering for the runners – only when someone they knew ran past would a few people cheer.  I had no way of knowing where they were on the course so I just planted myself in a spot and waited.  I did get a text when they were close to rounding the last turn into the stadium so I could get my phone out and managed a few pics as they ran by.

Then it was over – they got their medals and we headed home.

Dealing with this injury has been frustrating on so many levels – I have wanted to sign up for so many events (runs and bike rides) that sound like fun, but when I mention them to people they say, “Is your foot gonna be ok by then?”  In my head I think, ‘That’s WEEKS away, why wouldn’t I be ok by then?’ and then realize I have been dealing with this injury since the beginning of FEBRUARY now and it is the end of April.

At the last recheck with my doctor I was instructed to wear the boot until May 5th and then I will have yet another recheck.  He told me these kinds of injuries are worse than if I would have just broken it – AWESOME.  :/   I am now allowed to start slowly doing things again.  The doctor said (and I quote):  “If you are used to riding 5 miles, you can try 2.”  That is NOT going to help me bike commute to work.  I feel like I am missing all the great weather!!

I’m not even sure how to end this blog post – it’s been sitting in my draft file for quite sometime, so I think I will just end it here…. So have a good weekend, and I will start posting more when I’m allowed to actually get back to cycling/hiking/ and running – whenever that may be.  Thanks for all the well wishes over the last few months – I swear, this blog will get interesting again at some point! LOL!

2 thoughts on “Hello From The Other Side…

  1. Awww I can tell you are bummed. But the foot wins. You MUST go slowly or you will have to start over. Just heal. Think of it as a healing retreat. Pamper yourself. Don’t think about what you’re missing. Think about healing. Life is one big race and wouldn’t you rather enjoy it vs. speed through it? Hang in!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s